Livin' it Up on The Southside

If you were to walk by our home, you would see Eric in the garage working on the "Hot Rod." Chase riding his bike up and down the sidewalk like a madman, and Rachel (myself) chasing (we named him well!) after him, telling him to slow down, and Anthony trying to be just like his big brother.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Anthony was sick on his 1st Birthday

When we got home on Thursday the 6th, Tony wanted to go right to sleep. He slept for two hours. That is not like him, but I thought maybe he is just really tired. My grandparents arrived around 8:15pm. Tony was up and he played and they got to visit with him for a bit. He went back down at 9:30pm. He was then up at 11:30pm, 1:30am and 4am. At this point I was thinking his teeth were really bothering him.

I went to work at 6:30am, since I had a doctor's appointment at 7:30am. I will have to do a separate entry on that later. The plan was to work in the morning, come home and take Anthony to get his pictures taken, and then work from home in the afternoon. I called grandma at 11:25am and told her I was on my way. She said Tony had napped and was dressed, but was cranky. We all piled into the car and headed to Super Target in Ankeny.

Tony was in good spirits the whole drive, we get to the studio and he starts crying. He sees the photographer and just keeps on crying. We could not make him smile or be his happy self. After five minutes I told her this wasn't going to work. We would have to re-schedule. Chase says he is really hungry, so we decide to eat at the Pizza Hut inside of Target. Grandpa, Grandma and I all had cheese pizza with tomato slices and basil. It was very good. Chase had a hot dog with fruit snacks and applesauce. I couldn't get Anthony to eat any of his food or barely drink, which really concerned me. He also would moan like he was in pain.

We got home, and I could see how tired he was but he only slept for 30 minutes. I tried to get him to drink some more, and he would only take a few swallows. He also had some really thick drool coming out of his mouth. Here it is his 1st birthday, and he was really miserable. I wanted to know what was wrong with him. I called the pediatrician, and they were all booked. I then called our family doctor, and they were all booked. Apparently, the southside of Des Moines had some serious sickness going on! The nurse suggested I go to Urgent Care, which has a walk-in clinic. So I packed up the diaper bag and off we went. I got there at 3pm and they called our name at 4:10pm. Tony did amazingly well waiting.

He had a low grade temp, his right eardrum was red and then we the doctor looked in his throat he found a big throat ulcer. He showed me and said that would be why he isn't eating or drinking for you. He said Tony had Herpangina, a.k.a. throat ulcers. All I could do is give him Tylenol and popsicles and cold drinks. It is a virus that has to run its course. I was so bummed, since his party was on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home