Livin' it Up on The Southside

If you were to walk by our home, you would see Eric in the garage working on the "Hot Rod." Chase riding his bike up and down the sidewalk like a madman, and Rachel (myself) chasing (we named him well!) after him, telling him to slow down, and Anthony trying to be just like his big brother.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Say No to Cows

On Thursday Anthony started running a 101 temp. Friday morning he woke up and still had one. I also noticed his left ear was draining again. We already had follow up appointment scheduled with the ENT doctor, so I kept him home with me and we went to that at 1:30. I knew he had another ear infection. The 4th one in 2 1/2 months. He had just finished his last round of antibiotics five days earlier.

As soon as we walked in, Anthony recognized where we were and started crying. I finally got him calmed down and then they called us in. So the crying started all over again, and didn't stop until we left. The doctor came in his right ear was just fine, however his infected ear had a lot of fluid, and he wanted to suck it out. Myself and two nurses had to hold him down while the doctor did that. It was awful, I was almost in tears.

After that the doctor said he thinks Anthony eating dairy products could be the culprit to his chronic ear infection, runny nose and even eczema! So for the next month he wants all dairy eliminated. Now, when he was first tested for allergies, milk came up we switched to soy milk. However, the allergist said he could still have yogurt and cheese. I thought it was strange, but hey he is the specialist. Well, now everything is out. The doctor said after 30 days we will then let him eat as much dairy for one day as he wants. We will then see what kind of reaction he has. The doctor thinks he will outgrow this allergy, but the key will be moderation in the future.

I went to four grocery stores on the south side and none of them carry soy yogurt or cheese. I was up in Ankeny Monday night and found yogurt and cheese there. The yogurt is kind of tart, so he only ate two bites. I will have to put some Splenda in, and see if he will eat it that way. My concern is that he gets enough calcium. Prior to this he was eating 2 yogurts and a cheese stick a day. I am now making sure to read every label.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home