Livin' it Up on The Southside

If you were to walk by our home, you would see Eric in the garage working on the "Hot Rod." Chase riding his bike up and down the sidewalk like a madman, and Rachel (myself) chasing (we named him well!) after him, telling him to slow down, and Anthony trying to be just like his big brother.

Friday, May 25, 2007

No Longer an Eikelboom

Last weekend was a big weekend for us. Miranda and Rob got married on Saturday. Thursday night my mom drove down. Then on Friday we headed to Overland Park, KS. We got to town around 3:30pm. We went and picked up Eric's accessory package for his tux and then checked into the hotel. The boys jumped on the beds for awhile and then we got changed and headed to the church. Rehearsal was at 5:30pm.

It was almost time for Anthony and Chase to practice going down the aisle, when Anthony got sick. I noticed his face was red, but he had been jumping and running around like a mad man. Just before he left the hotel he ate a bunch of grapes. I then gave him a banana at the church. I was right by him when he started coughing. He had something caught in his throat. He kind of gagged and that was it, I thought. I picked him up and then it all came back up. All over his pants, my shirt and the floor. Luckily the sanctuary had tile, rather than carpet. Needless to say Anthony didn't get to practice. He only took a 30 minute nap in the car, so he needed to rest. We got in the car to head to the dinner and he was out. They catered in Kansas City BBQ to the clubhouse at their apartment complex. So we were able to park up front and keep an eye on Anthony as he slept.

Saturday morning Eric was really excited about getting to eat at Denny's. All the Denny's in Des Moines have closed, so anytime we go out of town, Eric is on the look out. He just can't get over the value they offer. After breakfast we headed to Wal-Mart. Miranda asked us to pick up the wedding cake. They were getting married at 6pm. We arrived at 11:15am. When she ordered the cake 2 months ago, she told them noon for pick up. So I go up to the counter and say I am here for the cake. She looks at her watch and says, "You are 45 minutes early." Now one would think the cake would be done the night before at least! The cake was frosted, but not decorated. So we went grocery shopping for the gift opening on Sunday. I then went back outside with my mom and the kids. Eric hung out waiting for the cake. They boxed it up and we were on our way. My mom took Anthony back to the room so he could nap. I dropped Eric off with Chase at Miranda's. I needed him to put together the breakfast casserole, since I was late to meet Miranda at the church. She needed to get her dress on for pictures at 2:30.

Eric's oldest sister Lisa calls me at 2pm. She says, "Did you look at the cake?" I said I didn't. She says, "It looks like a 10 year old decorated it." I gave her the number to Wal-Mart and the managers name. I am glad I kept the receipt! She calls me back and says they don't have anyone they can send to the hotel to fix it. However, if I bring the cake back in they will work on it. So I tell Miranda what is going on. Luckily she had two personal attendants. I run back to the hotel to get the cake. I see it for the first time. The top cake is falling over, there are divot's in the icing, like someones finger pressed into it and the dots are not in a straight line.

I get to Wal-mart at 2:55pm. I go to the bakery with the cake. The lady that decorated it looks at it and say, "I guess it does look pretty bad, but I don't know what I am going to do." I said, "How about a new cake?" Well, they didn't have any of the bigger bottom cakes baked. So they scraped all the frosting off and started over. They were able to decorate a new round top cake. She said she needed 30 minutes. I left Wal-Mart at 4:25pm. We were suppose to be at the church for pictures at 4:30pm. Eric got the boys dressed, he was waiting on me, since we had to buy new undershirts which we left in the car. I get in the hotel room and get changed into my dress in record time. I didn't get to shower. I was able to touch up my make up and go. We made it to the church by 5pm. Wal-Mart was 10 minutes from hotel and the church was 10 minutes from the hotel. All the pictures we needed to take got taken and the boys had time to play in the nursery before the ceremony. In the midst of rushing out of hotel room, I forgot the diaper bag. I ran out to van and scrounged around for some snack. I found a jar of wieners, fruit snacks and a bag of chips. It would have to do.

Miranda was a beautiful bride. She was really radiant. It was evident how happy she was to marry her best friend. My mom and Eric were in the back with the boys before the ceremony. The boys did well going down the aisle. Anthony held Chase's hand and found me up front. Eric and Miranda's dad walked her down the aisle. The minister told their love story of meeting over 10 years ago at Wesley's Woods, which is a camp for mentally challenged adults. They became friends and had stayed in touch over the years. An e-mail here or there, a phone call once in awhile. Then they spent a weekend visiting and they fell in love.

The reception was wonderful. Miranda and Rob opted for more finger like food. There were little ham and turkey sandwiches, meatballs, chicken fingers, veggie tray, fruit tray and cheese and crackers. Everything was fresh and very delicious. Eric's dad, stepmother and grandma were invited to the wedding. So we were able to visit with them. Anthony let Ron hold him and he ate off his plate. We were happy, since he has only seen his grandpa four times. Chase and Anthony both had a blast running around and dancing with the other kids that were there. When it was time for the toast, Meagan got really emotional and couldn't get up to talk. So Eric stepped in and very eloquently welcomed Rob's family into ours and said he never thought anyone would be good enough for his little sister, but she did find that person. My mom took the boys down to the room around 10pm. The wedding wrapped up at 11:30pm.

Sunday morning we went over to Miranda's to make food for the gift opening. The breakfast casserole Eric put together turned out great. We used the leftover turkey and ham from Friday night for sandwiches. We also had potato salad, beans, cole slaw, fruit and cake. We had plenty to feed the 19 of us that were there. They then opened their gifts. We got on the road by 1pm and were home by 4:15pm. It felt good to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home