Let's Go Fly a Kite
I was awakened this morning by my new niece, Hanna. My Grandfather describes her cry as a wild turkey. It was definitely along the lines of the bird family. Never the less I didn't mind. I was able to meet her for the first time. She is really precious and so small. I had forgotten how small babies are at first. She is all about eating, sleeping and pooping. Wow, can she poop. She went through four diapers in about 5 minutes! Oh the joys of parenthood. I have some pictures that I will try to post soon.
It is incredibly windy today, so the pier did not get put in today. However, it was perfect for kite flying. This was Chase's first experience and it wasn't what I hoped for. I was really excited and thought he would enjoy it. My mom and I got the kite up and then had him hold it. Well, as soon as the kite was up he was bawling. "I want my kite back, I want my kite." Apparently he thought it was going to fly away, since it was up in the sky. The whole kite attached to the string, and the string is in your hand didn't account for much. He wouldn't stop crying until we brought the kite down. I think he believed it was going to fly away like his balloon did. So I guess we will put kite flying off for another year.
We played croquet tonight. Most of us hadn't played for several years, so it was a hoot. My brother was all about hitting your ball, and then trying to knock it out of play as far as he could. So by the time the first game ended, I was still trying to hit the stick on the other end of the playing field. Well, then my brother comes up with the brilliant idea to play for money. The first person to win collects from all the other players. Each wicket is a dollar. So if you still have 7 wickets to go through, that is how much you owe. At first I was hesitant, but then I realized that half of the people playing were drinking, and their skills were not getting any better. I had a really good chance of winning. I was on a roll, and I took the lead early on. I was on the second half of the course, and only had 3 more wickets to finish. Then the call for supper came. It was 7:30 and when Grandma says it is time to eat, you drop what you are doing and go. The intention was to finish after dinner, but then it started getting dark and not everyone was up finishing the game. So needless to say, I lost out on at least $20 bucks!
It is incredibly windy today, so the pier did not get put in today. However, it was perfect for kite flying. This was Chase's first experience and it wasn't what I hoped for. I was really excited and thought he would enjoy it. My mom and I got the kite up and then had him hold it. Well, as soon as the kite was up he was bawling. "I want my kite back, I want my kite." Apparently he thought it was going to fly away, since it was up in the sky. The whole kite attached to the string, and the string is in your hand didn't account for much. He wouldn't stop crying until we brought the kite down. I think he believed it was going to fly away like his balloon did. So I guess we will put kite flying off for another year.
We played croquet tonight. Most of us hadn't played for several years, so it was a hoot. My brother was all about hitting your ball, and then trying to knock it out of play as far as he could. So by the time the first game ended, I was still trying to hit the stick on the other end of the playing field. Well, then my brother comes up with the brilliant idea to play for money. The first person to win collects from all the other players. Each wicket is a dollar. So if you still have 7 wickets to go through, that is how much you owe. At first I was hesitant, but then I realized that half of the people playing were drinking, and their skills were not getting any better. I had a really good chance of winning. I was on a roll, and I took the lead early on. I was on the second half of the course, and only had 3 more wickets to finish. Then the call for supper came. It was 7:30 and when Grandma says it is time to eat, you drop what you are doing and go. The intention was to finish after dinner, but then it started getting dark and not everyone was up finishing the game. So needless to say, I lost out on at least $20 bucks!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home